Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,161 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Lambton Collieries was a privately owned colliery and coal mining company, based in County Durham
The commercial extraction of coal was developed by John Lambton in the lands surrounding the castle through the Wear Valley. The first of seven pits was sunk in the village of Bournmoor from 1783 onwards, which together were to make up what was known as Lambton Colliery.
The company was first formed when Lambton's grandson, John Lambton the first Earl of Durham, entered Parliament as a Whig politician. The formal name change to Lambton Collieries was adopted in 1896.
1947, along with all of the other private coal companies of the United Kingdom, it was nationalised under the Coal Industry Nationalisation Act 1946 to form the National Coal Board.