Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,124 pages of information and 233,665 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1847 The George's landing stage was designed by William Cubitt and erected that year. Consisted of 39 iron pontoons with wooden decking, 607ft. long and 180ft. wide with capacity for 40,000 people.
The George's stage was so successful that it was decided to provide additional stage. Cubitt was again asked for his idea and from designs furnished by him the Prince's Stage was constructed and opened on the 1st September, 1857.
One of the stages was devoted to river traffic and the other to coasting and foreign traffic.
c.1872 Further capacity was soon needed and after considering various schemes the Liverpool Docks Board selected the scheme proposed by Mr G. Fosbery Lyster, the engineer to the board.The scheme involved connection of the two stages and a floating bridge extending from the street known as the New Quay.
1874 The whole structure, including all 3 stages, was severely damaged by fire.
Temporary arrangements were put in place to serve the ferry, etc. As soon as possible portions of the landing stage were brought back into use while other parts were being repaired.
1875 July: The reconstructed George's stage, having been repaired in Birkenhead, was brought back across the river and connected to the Prince's stage.
1896 A 400ft extension to the landing stage was made by Pearson and Knowles at Dallam Forge and assembled on pontoons (supplied by the Phoenix Co., of Derby) in the Wallasey Dock near Birkenhead; the design was prepared by Mr. A. G. Lyster, Engineer to the Mersey Dock and Harbour Board