Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,368 pages of information and 233,846 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Lea-Francis: Cars

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search
Im081230-LeaFrancis.jpg
Reg No. GJ 5921.
November 1922.
November 1922.
November 1922.
October 1923.
October 1923.
October 1923.
October 1923. Models, prices and specifications.
March 1924
1925.
February 1925
1926.
September 1927.
1928. P Type 12/40. Reg No: UP 3067.
October 1931.
Reg No: DM 7757.
Reg No: YT 7015.
Reg No: YT 7015.
Reg No: KWO 874.
Reg No: KWO 874.
June 1941.
1946.
1947. Lea Francis 14/40. Reg No: FUS 750.
1948.
May 1949.
1949. Lea Francis 14/70 Mk V 6 Saloon. Reg No: HKV 91. Exhibit at Oakham Treasures.
October 1949. 2.5 litre sports, four seater.
1951.
Reg No: AAE 875.
Reg No: JYK 144.
1952. 4 Light Salon. Reg No: KWO 874.
October 1953.
1960. Lea-Francis "Lynx".

Note: This is a sub-section of Lea-Francis

of Lower Ford Street, Coventry.

1903 They branched out into car manufacture. Lea-Francis built cars, under licence, for the Singer company.

1904 February. Details of their petrol car.[1]

1902 August. Details of a trial of the 12-hp car.[2]

1905 February. Details of their 16 hp car.[3]

In 1919 they started to build their own cars from bought in components.

From 1922 Lea-Francis had a tie up with Vulcan of Southport, sharing manufacturing and dealers. Vulcan supplied bodies to Lea-Francis and in return got gearboxes and steering gear. The association finished in 1928 when Vulcan stopped making cars.

1925 A sporting image began to appear from about 1925, leading to models such as the Hyper and the Ace of Spades. The Hyper (also called the S Type) was the first British supercharged production car with a 1.5 litre Meadows engine.

In 1928 a Lea-Francis Hyper won the Ulster TT, a 13.5 mile race on the roads of Northern Ireland in the hands of legendary race car driver, Kaye Don. The race was watched by a record 250,000 spectators, and the victory placed Lea-Francis firmly on the map.

1937 The 12-hp and the 14-hp were introduced in 1937 and continued until the start of the war in 1939, when production ceased and the factory concentrated on manufacturing for the war effort.

1946 Post-war car production commenced in 1946 with updated vehicles based on the pre-war designs. The 14-hp Saloon and Sports were luxurious and sporty vehicles, and were popular, if expensive. Eventually, a more powerful 2 1/2 litre engine and improved chassis with independent front suspension and hydraulic brakes were introduced across the range.

1951 Exhibitor at the 1951 Motor Show in the Car Section.

A total of almost 10,000 Lea-Francis vehicles were made until production ceased after the 1960 Lea-Francis Lynx failed to capture the buying public's attention. The Lea-Francis name and the assets of the company were purchased by Barrie Price who continues to provide service and spares for the surviving cars, and has also built a number of "modern" Lea-Francis motor cars reviving the model name Ace of Spades.

See Also

Sources of Information