Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,194 pages of information and 233,428 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The Leominster Canal, c.18 miles long from Mamble to Leominster with 16 locks and a number of tunnels, was originally part of a more ambitious scheme.
1789 Possible route from Leominster to Stourport surveyed by Thomas Dadford Junior.
1790 A link to Kington was added, making the total length 46 miles
1791 Act of Parliament. Dadford was appointed as part-time engineer
1795 Dadford gave up the position of engineer
1796 Completed route to Leominster, despite problems with a tunnel
1797 A ceremonial cut was made in the banks of the River Severn but, without further finance, the work stopped
For the next 60 years the canal carried coal to Leominster from the Mamble collieries
1858 the Shrewsbury and Hereford Railway bought the canal and drained it to sell the land.