Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,138 pages of information and 233,680 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Leonard George Tate (c1866-1926), founder of Fuller and Tate
1926 Obituary 
LEONARD GEORGE TATE, general secretary of the Electrical Contractors' Association (Incorporated) and director of the National Electrical Contractors' Trading Association, Ltd., died on the 24th January, 1926, in his sixty-first year.
One year later Mr. Tate accepted the management of the lamp department of the Schuylar Electric Co. of Hartford, Conn., U.S.A., and remained in America for five years.
In 1899 he was employed by the Brush Electrical Engineering Co., Ltd., under Mr. Dawbarn; and in 1892 joined Mr. Leslie Fuller in founding the business of Fuller and Tate, at 20 Bucklersbury, E.C., and it was this business which Mr. Tate carried on alone as Leonard G. Tate and Co., prior to associating himself wholly and whole-heartedly with the Electrical Contractors' Association.
It may be said in all simplicity and sincerity that he devoted his life to the welfare of the British electrical installation trade. In all E.C.A. affairs he was an unfailing guide, philosopher and friend. As a man, he was upright, frank and true, and was loved and respected by all. He joined the old National Electrical Con- tractors' Association in 1902 and was soon afterwards elected to the "Managing Committee." In this capacity he assisted in the incorporation of the E.C.A. and in the formation of its present constitution. In 1905 he accepted the position of hon. secretary to the Incorporated Association, and in this capacity he continued to act until 1918, when he severed his connection with the firm of Leonard G. Tate and Co. and became the whole-time general secretary of the E.C.A. Allied Associations. On the occasion of the E.C.A. Annual General Meeting held in June, 1925, the Allied Associations presented Mr. Tate with a silver salver and cheque "as a token of esteem and mark of appreciation for the valuable services rendered by him during the past 21 years."
He joined the Institution as an Associate Member in 1902, and became a Member in 1924.