Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,140 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Leslie Henry Andrews ( -1941)
1941 Obituary 
LESLIE HENRY ANDREWS studied electrical engineering at the Finsbury Technical College from 1894 to 1896, after which he spent 2 years in the test room of Messrs. Evershed and Vignoles, followed by a further 2 years in the test room of the Brighton Electricity Works.
He then joined the Hackney Electricity Department and from 1901 to 1904 was Superintendent of the test room and in charge of installations, etc.
For the next 4 years he was responsible for the maintenance of substations on the London Underground Electric Railways.
In November, 1908, he was engaged by Messrs. Preece, Cardew and Snell to carry out the contract for the installation of a new power station, substations, high-tension and low-tension cables, and electric tramways for the Buenos Aires Pacific Railway in Bahia Blanca, Argentina. He remained on the electrical staff of that railway up to the 31st October, 1924, and he then joined the staff of the Buenos Aires Southern Railway on the taking over by that railway of all the Pacific Railway's interests in the electrical undertakings at Bahia Blanca.
He was also employed in 1916 as Assistant Electrical Engineer and later, in 1924, as Electrical Engineer in charge of the South American Light and Power Co. of Bahia Blanca, until December, 1929, a position which he held for 5 years.
In December, 1929, he was appointed Engineer in the Operating Department of the Compania Sud Americana de Servicios Publicos S.A., but he resigned on the 31st July, 1931, to join the Usinas Unidas Ltda. to manage their power station at Cinco Saltos, Rio Negro.
He subsequently retired from active participation in electrical engineering in order to take up fruit farming, and remained in this occupation until he died on the 30th June, 1941.
He joined The Institution in 1896 as a Student and was elected an Associate Member in 1902 and a Member in 1922. He took a keen interest in the activities of the Argentine Local Centre and attended the visits, meetings and dinners whenever he was in Buenos Aires.