Liddle Elliot (1807-1869)
1871 Obituary 
MR. LIDDLE ELLIOT was born on the 16th of October, 1807, at Trentham in Staffordshire.
He was brought up as a land surveyor and articled to a Mr. Slater, who had been sent by Mr. Telford to improve the turnpike roads of North Staffordshire.
On the death of that gentleman, Mr. Elliot succeeded him in this occupation and carried out many new roads besides. He was also engaged by the late Mr. Sneyd of Keele Hall in improving the roads on his estates; and gave assistance to several engineers in selecting and surveying lines for railways in Staffordshire.
About the year 1845 the attention of the leading manufacturers in the Staffordshire Potteries was drawn to the very inadequate supply of water, chiefly owing to mining operations draining the springs. Mr. Elliot was employed in conjunction with the late Mr. James Simpson, Past President Inst. C.E., to survey the country, and succeeded in finding an abundant supply of pure spring water at Wall Grange, near Leek, on the estate of the Duke of Sutherland, whose confidence he largely enjoyed. A company was formed, Mr. Elliot was appointed engineer, and successfully carried out the works for conveying the water a distance of 10 miles, to supply a population of about a hundred thousand inhabitants; and the Staffordshire Potteries now enjoy an excellent supply of spring water.
He joined the Institution as an Associate on the 3rd of December, 1850, and died on the 1st of March, 1869, at Newcastle-under-Lyne, of which place he was mayor in 1846, greatly regretted by a large circle of friends, and leaving behind him numerous family.