Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,435 pages of information and 233,876 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Lionel St. George Wilkinson (1886-1945)
1945 Obituary 
THE LATE MR. L. ST. G. WILKINSON. - We regret to learn that Mr. Lionel St. G. Wilkinson, M.C., M.Sc., M.Inst.C.E., borough surveyor of Wallasey, and Immediate Past-President of the Institution of Municipal and County Engineers, died suddenly at Wallasey on February 18th.
Mr. Wilkinson, who was sixty-nine, was born in Manchester. He was educated at Oldham Hulme Grammar School and Manchester University, and started his professional life in the office of the borough engineer of Luton.
Later he was employed at Oldham, Huddersfield, and Crewe, and was appointed borough engineer and surveyor of Wallasey in 1923. His most notable work there was the New Brighton promenade scheme, which includes the largest open-air bathing pool in the country, and cost over a million pounds to complete.
1946 Obituary 
LIONEL St. GEORGE WILKINSON, M.C., M.Sc., whose death occurred on 19th February 1945, was the borough engineer and surveyor to the Wallasey Corporation for twenty-two years. He was born in 1886 and studied at the University of Manchester, where he graduated B.Sc. with honours in engineering in 1907 and later obtained his M.Sc. degree.
His first appointment was that of assistant to the borough engineer of Luton. In 1909 he entered the Oldham Corporation waterworks department as assistant water engineer, resigning this position two years later to become engineering assistant to the borough engineer of Huddersfield. On the outbreak of war in .1914 he joined the Manchester Regiment and subsequently rose to the rank of staff captain of the 126th Infantry Brigade. He saw service in Egypt, Gallipoli, the Sinai Desert, and France, and received the award of the Military Cross.
On demobilization in 1919 he resumed his former duties at Huddersfield, but, shortly afterwards, was appointed borough and water engineer at Crewe, where he remained until 1923, when he took up his final appointment at Wallasey. Amongst the numerous works for which he was responsible the most notable was the New Brighton Promenade scheme. Mr. Wilkinson was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1912, and was transferred to Membership in 1919. He was also a Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers and a past-president of the Institution of Municipal and County Engineers. During the Summer Meeting of the Institution at Liverpool in 1934, he served as a member of the Reception Committee.