Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 115342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Liverpool, St Helens and South Lancashire Railway

From Graces Guide

The St. Helens and Wigan Junction Railway became the Liverpool St. Helens and South Lancashire Railway on 26.7.1889 and was in constant financial difficulty

Despite the first sod being cut on 28.1.1888 it did not open to goods traffic until 1.1.1895 and then only to St. Helens. It was to take another five years for the line to be brought up to passenger standards by which time any hope of continuing west had been abandoned.

The line remained a minor branch line that was of far more use for goods as it linked to a number of collieries in the Lancashire coalfield. Passenger services were always secondary.

In 1906 the line became part of the Great Central Railway (GCR] transferring to the London and North Eastern Railway (LNER) in 1923.