Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,390 pages of information and 233,863 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Established by Act of Parliament in 1828 and eventually covered a 70-mile (110 km) long route.
1835 In August 1835 the Llanelly Company took on the grander title of the Llanelly Railway and Dock Company.
1864-72 Construction of the Swansea and Carmarthen extensions.
1873 Incorporated into the Great Western Railway
"An extraordinary type of six-coupled tender engine, considering the period when it was built, is that shown at right (Victor). It was supplied to the Llanelly Railway by Messrs. Fossick and Hackworth, of Stockton in 1864 (not 1844 as was erroneously given in J. Tomlinson's address before the Institution of Mechanical Engineers in 1890). The Hackworth, who was a member of this firm was Thomas, the brother of Timothy, and the engine illustrated was the last design of the Hackworth school, in so far as the steeply inclined cylinders attached to the smoke-box were concerned. The long connecting-rod which drove the trailing wheels, and the rectangular steam chest above the cylinder with very long valve rods were amongst the peculiar features of this engine."