Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,159 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Built in 1832 by William T. James. This was his second locomotive.
The James had cylinders 10 in. in diameter by 10in. stroke, set upon a wooden frame inclined at an angle of 30 degrees to the horizontal. Four fixed eccentrics, with shifting links, operated the slide valves, the reverse shafts and hangers controlling the position of the links. A weight was fixed on the reverse lever to retain the links in position at either end of the travel, but there was no means of fixing them in an intermediate position.
The James was run on the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad for two or three years, and then returned to the Harlem Road, when it soon after exploded.