Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,943 pages of information and 230,152 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Nine Elms, London (works)
1832 The first works were built at Vauxhall Gardens on the east side of Vauxhall (Albert Embankment) in 1832.
1833 The London Gas Light Co. was formed by Deed of Settlement. The company set up in competition to all the other London companies and operated on both sides of the Thames.
1833 a new 'Vauxhall' works was built on the west side of Vauxhall.
1834 The original works ceased production but remained part of the new Vauxhall works until 1848 when the railway cut through it.
1834 A new telescopic gas holder was built at the Vauxhall works
The company purchased a bulk supply of gas from the Equitable Gas Co to supply its area north of the Thames.
1845 The company became statutory undertaking under the London Gas Light Company Act.
1857 Built a new gas works at Nine Elms
1862 London Gasworks at Vauxhall, near the bridge
1864 The company transferred production from Vauxhall to the Nine Elms site.
1868 Robert Morton (1834-1911) appointed engineer and manager
1871 After the Gas Light and Coke Co took over the Equitable Gas Co, the London Gas Co continued to purchase bulk supplies from them for its North Thames area.
The London Company also leased holders to the Gas Light and Coke Co.
1873 One of 9 companies supplying gas to the London metropolis
1882 One of only 4 companies supplying gas to London; served customers on both sides of the river Thames; taken over by the Gas Light and Coke Co which otherwise served customers north of the River
In 1883 the London Gas Light Co. was taken over by the Gas Light and Coke Co.
1897 Carburetted Water Gas plant was introduced at Nine Elms
Between 1907 and 1930 the works switched from inclined to vertical retorts.