Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,107 pages of information and 233,634 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Total Mileage of the constituent companies was 7,331 miles
1933 The arrival of the new Chief Mechanical Engineer William Stanier, who was head-hunted from the Great Western Railway by Josiah Stamp in 1933, heralded a change in the LMS. Stanier introduced new ideas rather than continuing with the company's internal conflict.
1938, the LMS operated 6,870 route miles of railway (excluding its lines in Northern Ireland), but it was not very profitable with a rate of return of only 2.7%.
WWII brought a further period of direct government control, and by its end a Labour government was in power and planning to nationalise the railways.
1948 Along with the other British railway companies, the LMS was nationalised and became part of British Railways.
1925 The London, Midland and Scottish Railway placed orders for nearly a hundred new engines in the Glasgow district. These engines formed part of the programme of new work announced by the company at the beginning of the year, and were built partly at the old Caledonian works at St. Rollox and partly at the works of private builders. The expenditure on their construction, amounted to a total of about £750,000. These orders have followed closely upon the announcement that the company had placed a contract with Hurst, Nelson and Co., of Motherwell, for seven five-coach trains, at a total cost of about £100,000, and another one with Pickering and Co., of Wishaw, for thirteen coaches.
1925 Since the London, Midland and Scottish Railway was formed, it has made provision for the construction of 2,303 new passenger coaches, 45,000 goods wagons, and 4,815 passenger and goods locomotives. 
1927 Mr H. G. Burgess the general manager retired on the March 31st, after fifty-three years' service. His office wasn't continued, but Sir Josiah Stamp, the president, had the assistance of four vice-presidents - Messrs S. H. Hunt, J. Quirey, J. H. Follows and R. W. Reid.
1930 With the passing of the Railway Companies Road Transport Acts, it became clear that the bus companies could face stiff competition so the management of the National Omnibus and Transport Co led the way in negotiating with the main railway companies, forming 3 joint companies, the last of which was the Eastern National Omnibus Co formed with the London and North Eastern Railway and the London, Midland and Scottish Railway.
1935 Introduction of non-condensing turbine locomotive - Turbomotive
1948 Acquired by the British Transport Commission on nationalisation of the railways.