Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,103 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of 109 Leadenhall Street, London.
Mr H. W. Williams was the Manager of the London and India Docks Joint Committee.
In 1894 the Docks were described by H. W. Williams for the Sketch Magazine as follows;
The Cutler Street Warehouses cover four acres and can store close to 22,000 tons of goods, such as tea, silk and carpets.
The Crutched Friars, the Commercial Road Depot, the East Smithfield Railway Depot and St. Katherine's Dock together cover 23 acres (of which 13 is of land).
The London Dock covers an area of 100 acres (of which 60 is of land, the rest of water) and is a mile long.
Between them, the two docks can store 170,000 to 260,000 tons of merchandise and in the vaults there is room for 121,000 pipes of wine. It is within these vaults that the famous Burnay Vaults can be found, which store the Burnay Port.
The West India Dock occupys 164 acres.
At the South West India Dock are refrigerating chambers capable of storing 14,000 carcasses of mutton.
The quay berth of the Victoria Dock is for 27 vessels of the largest class.
The Royal Albert Dock, opened in 1880, covers 432 acres, accomodates massive steamers, and 33 vessels can be moored alongside.
The Tilbury Dock covers 588 acres and vessels can enter this dock at any tide.
1909 Assets were acquired by the Port of London Authority