Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,404 pages of information and 233,863 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The Longwood Gas Company Ltd
1859 First formed; established works on Dale St in Longwood.
1875 The company was dissolved and incorporated by Act of Parliament as the Longwood Gas Co.
1902 Acquired additional works from the Colne Vale Gas Drysaltery and Manufacturing Co Ltd in Golcar.
1914 Acquired the undertaking of the Slaithwaite Gas Co Ltd (formed in 1876) and became the Longwood and Slaithwaite Gas Company.
1919 The new company was itself purchased by Huddersfield Corporation. The works became holder stations.
1949 they became part of the Huddersfield-Halifax Group of the North Eastern Gas Board