Low Temperature Research Station
1917 The Department of Scientific and Industrial Research established a Cold Storage Research Board to organise and control research into problems of preserving food products by cold storage and other means.
1918 The Board was renamed the Food Investigation Board.
1922 The Low Temperature Research Station was set up at Cambridge to research problems basic to the preservation, storage and transport of perishable foodstuffs. It went on to focus on meat, eggs and poultry
With the assistance of the Empire Marketing Board the station was later enlarged and supplemented by the Ditton Laboratory at East Malling, set up in 1928, focussed on fruit and vegetables
1931 the Torry Research Station was founded at Aberdeen with the help of the Empire Marketing Board, to study how best to improve the preservation of fish
Post-WWII Two small branch laboratories at Covent Garden and Smithfield markets were added.
1952 Torry Research Station set up a branch, the Humber Laboratory, at Hull.
When fully developed the organisation had its headquarters at Cambridge and four main divisions situated at the six laboratories
1958 The organisation was dissolved
1959 The laboratories were transferred to the Agricultural Research Council, with the exception of the Torry Research Station and the Humber Laboratory
Sources of Information
- National Archives