Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,159 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of 98 Charlotte Street, Birmingham. (1922)
of Charlotte Street, Birmingham. London Office: 1 Paternoster Buildings, London, EC4. Telephone: London - City 7418. (1929)
of Vicarage Street, Langley Green, Oldbury, near Birmingham. Telephone: Birmingham, Broadwell 1302. Cables: "Challenge, Birmingham". (1947)
c1837 The business was founded by Meyer Myers, and was initially based at 8 Newhall Street. After trading on his own account for a while he entered a partnership with Philip Phillips (Philip Phillips?), who in the early to mid 1840s had his own business at 2 Newhall Street, but Phillips dropped out after a few years.
1852 Patent to Myer Myers and Maurice Myers, trading as the firm of Myers and Son, and William Hill, Manager to the said firm, Steel Pen Manufacturers, all of Birmingham, in the county of Warwick, for the invention of certain improvements in pens and penholders.
1854 The firm moved to a purpose built works in Charlotte Street.
1861 Patent granted to Myer Myers and Maurice Myers, trading under the style or firm of Myers and Son, Steel Pen Manufacturers, of Birmingham, in the county of Warwick, and William Hill, Manager to the said firm, also of Birmingham aforesaid, for the invention of "certain improvements in metallic clips or joints for holding, connecting, and adjusting crinolines, and other like purposes", bearing date the 1st day of November, 1861.
1868 Myer Myers, Maurice Myers, and William Hill applied to the Commissioners of Patents for Inventions for leave to file a disclaimer and memorandum of alteration of certain parts of the specification of the (1861) letters patent
1901 Manufacturer of pens.
1914 Public company.
1922 British Industries Fair Advert for Steel Pens, Metal Pens, Customers' Imprint Pens a Speciality; Carded Penholders and Carded Novelties; School Compasses and Children's Mathematical Sets; Letter Clips, Fold-Back and Bull Dog Clips; Paper Perforators, Ticket Clips and Suspenders; Card Display Stands. (Stand No. K.74) 
1929 Listed Exhibitor - British Industries Fair. Manufacturers of Steel Pens, Pen-holders, Fountain Pens, Letter Clips, Stationers' Sundries, Drawing Compasses and Sets, Letter Balances, Window Display Stands and Clips, Steel Springs, and Metal Novelties. (Stand No. R.28) 
1939 The firm moved again, this time to Langley Green, Oldbury. The company, which remained throughout in the control of the Myers family, made corkscrews, drawing instruments and office supplies, including the famous bulldog clips, as well as pens. In common with Brandauer and Baker and Finnemore, they successfully diversified into precision pressings.
1947 Listed Exhibitor - British Industries Fair. Manufacturers of Writing Pens, Penholders, Bulldog Foldback Letter Clips, etc., Propelling Pencils, compasses, Mathematical Sets, Perforators, Cosmetic Cases, Window Display Fixtures, Steel and other Metal Pressings for all trades. (Olympia, 1st Floor, Stand No. H.2136) 
1961 Manufacturers of office requisites, writing instruments, mathematical instruments, display appliances, small metal pressings and importers. 600 employees. 
1985 The company was sold to an American label company, Avery International, who wanted to expand their European office stationery business. The old Myers directors quickly retired and the business transformed virtually overnight from a typically English family firm to part of an international conglomerate, which sold the factory and its land in Langley Green, and like many other long established British companies, it is now a housing estate.
The firm now operates under the Avery name from what was the distribution centre next to the railway crossing in Langley Green.