Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,459 pages of information and 233,880 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Marshall, Sons and Co of Britannia Iron Works, Gainsborough, Lincs.
The company was a British machinery and Traction Engine manufacturer. Marshall's produced large numbers of steam traction engines, steam rollers and agricultural machinery of all types. Later production included diesel tractors such as the Field Marshall and Track Marshall.
See also -
1842 William Marshall originally an agent for William Fairbairn and Sons branched out on his own and purchased the defunct engineering works of William Garland and Son at Back Street Foundry in Gainsborough.
1848 Company established
1849 Renamed as Britannia Ironworks; commenced production of road steam engines.
1861 His other son Henry Dickenson Marshall became a partner in the business.
1861 Employing 21 men and 10 boys. 
1861 William Marshall died; the 2 brothers took over the running of the business. Under their direction steam engineering became one of the major parts of the business and it remained so until at least the First World War: portable engines of all sizes, traction engines, stationary engines, and boilers were manufactured and exported to markets around the world.
1862 Incorporated as a Limited Company as Marshall, Sons & Co. Ltd
1871 Employing 521 men and 85 boys 
1876 First traction engine produced.
1876 Exhibitor at the Royal Agricultural Show at Birmingham with a new expansion gear actuated by the governor. Details of their feeder for sheaves. 
1878 Built a railway locomotive and two more in 1898 and 1902.
1881 Employing 1,437 men and 137 boys 
1888 Issued catalogue of tea-preparing machinery with steam engines and boilers. Second catalogue on engines - portable, semi-portable, traction, fixed, horizontal and vertical, condensing; boilers, locomotives and vertical, and saw benches. Another section on road locomotives, portable and fixed engines, thrashing machinery, elevators and mills. 
1894 Catalogue of Tea preparing machinery. 
1895 Horizontal Engine with gear drive for Stockport Waterworks (Wilmslow Station).
1911 Smithfield Club Show. Exhibited a new steam tractor, a portable engine, a thrashing machine, a patented fire-box and various accessories.
1911 Horizontal Rotative Engine for Chatham and Rochester Waterworks (Luton Station). 
1913-1917 For a list of the models and prices of Steam Motor Wagons, Tractors and Ploughs etc. see the 1917 Red Book
1913-1917 For a list of the models and prices of Paraffin Commercial and Agricultural Motors, Tractors, Ploughs, Sprayers, etc. see the 1917 Red Book
1914 Agricultural and General Engineering for Home and Abroad. Specialities: "Marshall's Oil Tractors" and Jackson's Patent Tea Machinery. Employees 5000. 
1920 February. Issued catalogue on Cornish, Lancashire and water-tube boilers. 
1920 Royal Agricultural Show at Darlington. 16 bhp portable oil engine (illustrated). 
1922 In the show held by the Bedfordshire Agricultural Society at Ampthill, Beds. on the 20th, they were awarded a silver medal for the "Marshall" Class "SM" all-steel finishing thrashing machine.
1925 Mr W. F. Weston became a county representative of the company.
1925 The company secured a contract to supply the Greek Government with 100 compound steam road rollers of the "Marshall" latest Class "S" series.
1926 - December. Awarded two gold medals and three bronze medals at the Presidency Agricultural Show, Poona, India in October last. One of the gold medals was given for the "Marshall" all-steel frame thrashing machinery.
1927 See Aberconway for information on the company and its history.
1934 As result of continued poor trade, the company was placed in receivership
1936 Marshalls, Sons and Co (Successors) Ltd was formed as a private company to acquire from Thomas W. Ward Ltd the property undertaking and assets of the engineering business of Marshalls, Sons and Co Ltd est 1848. Converted into a public company. 5 directors of Wards were on the board.
1936 1st AGM. Joseph Ward is Chairman 
1937 Engineers and boiler manufacturers. 
WWII Made Diesel tractors and rollers, dumpers, concrete machinery, tea machinery, steam plant boilers, and work for the war effort
1943 Name changed to Marshall, Sons and Co Ltd. Public company
1947 Marshall, Sons and Co merged with John Fowler and Co Ltd; the 2 companies had major interests in diesel tractors. Ashley Skelton Ward, chairman of Wards, was also chairman of the Marshall company. Subsidiary companies included:
1961 General engineers and machinery manufacturers, producing diesel crawler tractors, diesel road rollers, diesel wheeled tractors, distillation plant, tea preparing machinery, fire tube packaged boilers, earth moving equipment, heavy fabricated steel work, diesel shunting locomotives and wire drawing machinery. 3,048 employees. 
1969 Acquired Bristol Tractor Taurus Machines from Mann Egerton to form a British group concentrating on the small crawler tractor market; production would be concentrated at Gainsborough; sales would be handled by Marshall-Fowler
By 1973 Thomas W. Ward owned Marshall-Fowler, tractor manufacturer with a large factory in Leeds which was under consideration for closure. The Marshall-Fowler tractor operations were transferred to Gainsborough.
1975 British Leyland acquired the Marshall-Fowler tractor factory at Gainsborough; the factory would be used to expand the Aveling-Barford business making earth moving and road construction equipment
1970s The factory in Gainsborough was derelict. There is now a supermarket standing on (part of) the former Britannia Iron Works site.
Marshall, Sons and Co. built the boiler for the Fairbairn steam crane which stands on the dockside in Bristol. The maker's plate reads "Marshall Sons and Co. Ltd., Engineers, Gainsboro, England, No.92766".