Matthew Gloag and Son
Wine merchants and whisky blenders of Perth, proprietors of the Famous Grouse Whisky
1800 The business had its origins in the grocery business of John Brown. Matthew Gloag married into the family, moved into the business and the name was changed to his in 1835.
1842 Matthew Gloag supplied food and wine to the Earl of Mansfield during the visit of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert.
1896 A blended Scotch whisky, The Grouse, was introduced.
1905 This blend was registered as a trade mark as The Famous Grouse, with each bottle bearing the image of a red grouse.
1939 The business was incorporated as a private company, Matthew Gloag and Son Limited, with capital of £100,000.
1970 The company was acquired by Highland Distilleries.
1999 Edrington acquired Highland Distillers and with it the highly successful brand of The Famous Grouse.
Sources of Information
- The Scotsman 15 April 1939