Maurice Edwin Kernot
Maurice Edwin Kernot (1852-1934)
1934 Obituary 
MAURICE EDWIN KERNOT died at St. Kilda, Victoria, Australia, on the 13th January, 1934, at the age of 81 years. He was born in Geelong, Victoria, on the 10th June, 1852. A son of the late Mr. C. Kernot, M.P., he was educated at Gherinhap Street School, Geelong, and at Melbourne University.
He began his practical engineering training as a pupil in the Water Supply and Mines Department but entered the Victorian Railway Department in 1874.
Between 1874 and 1878 he was resident engineer in charge of surveys, construction, and maintenance of sections of the line and then became district engineer. He attained the position of Chief Engineer of Railway Construction in 1903, and retired in 1923.
In 1914 he was sent on a mission to investigate railway practice in Europe and America. During his career he sat on various Commissions, notably those of the transcontinental railway and the early scheme for connecting Sydney to its northern suburbs. On request, he gave a series of lectures on railway location at the Melbourne University.
He was a member of various professional institutions, including the Institution of Engineers, Australia, and the American Society of Civil Engineers. He was also a member of the Faculty of Engineering, Melbourne University, for a number of years.
For distinguished services he was awarded the Kernot Memorial Medal by the University and the Peter Nicol Russell Memorial Medal by the Institution of Engineers, Australia.
He was ordained an elder of the Presbyterian Church in 1895 and took an active interest in church and philanthropic work throughout his life. His brother, the late Professor W. C. Kernot, was practically the founder of the Engineering School, University of Melbourne, and another brother, Professor W. N. Kernot, is present Dean of the Faculty of Engineering of that University. Two other brothers, the late Mr. P. A. Kernot and Mr. P. W. Kernot, were associated with the dental and architectural professions.
He was elected a Member of The Institution on the 5th February, 1895, and was a Member of Council from 1918 to 1920, being also a member of the Advisory Committee of the Council in Victoria.
His widow, daughter and son survive him.