Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,194 pages of information and 233,425 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Mavor and Coulson, manufacturers of mining equipment and conveyers, of Bridgeton, Glasgow.
1881 Company founded as electrical engineers - Muir and Mavor
1889 Muir, Mavor and Coulson installed a central electricity station in Little Hamilton St, near George Sq, Glasgow, to light nearby buildings; it was capable of lighting 3000 8 candle power lamps at a price of 3d per kWh
By 1891 The firm had become Mavor and Coulson
1894 Series wound motor.
1897 Private company.
1897 Started to build electric coal-cutting machines. They were the first to manufacture a completely enclosed electric coal-cutter and the first to incorporate an ironclad motor in one of these machines.
1900 Details of an electrically-driven oil pump.
1900 Manufactured motor-driven boosters for the Port Dundas electricity works in Glasgow.
1908 Began to manufacture underground conveyors and loaders
1909 Demonstration of electrical drive for ship propulsion.
1911 Crossley Brothers engine and dynamo combination to drive an electric transmission for a boat.
Mavor and Coulson developed gate end loaders, coal cutters and many types of conveyors, followed by armoured face conveyors, gathering arm loaders, continuous miners and roadheaders.
1926 Installed the first large-scale troughed belt conveyor underground in Britain
1931 Formed M. and C. Switchgear at Kirkintilloch.
1940 Advert for sectional belt conveyors.
1945 Advert for sectional belt conveyors.
1948 Company made public.
Late 1950s: acquired Austin Hoy with its associate Hoy Carbides to provide a source of hard metal cutting elements, cutting chains and picks for its own machines and others.
1961 Engineers and manufacturers of underground mining equipment and mechanical handling appliances for surface applications, makers of Samson coal cutters, loaders and conveyors. 2,000 employees.
1968 Bucket-wheel excavator.