Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,937 pages of information and 233,602 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Maynards, manufacturing and retail confectioners, of London, makers of Maynard's Wine Gums
1879 Sarah Maynard married James Healey, a confectioner, in Canonbury; Healey was living in Balls Pond Road, with the Maynards at the time
1880 Sarah's younger brothers, Charles Riley and Thomas, started manufacturing sweets in their kitchen in London.
1880 Charles Riley Maynard, was a confectioner of 93 High St., Stoke Newington
1881 Charles and Thomas were still living with their parents in the Balls Pond Road; they both gave their occupations as "confectioner"; Sarah and her husband, James Healey, who was a confectioner's journeyman, were living in Hackney; their brother, William, also a confectioner, and his family were living in Hackney
Over the next 15 years, the Maynard Brothers built up a substantial business making and selling confectionery through their own shops. William became a foreman confectioner
1896 Maynards Ltd was incorporated as a public company to acquire the retail and wholesale businesses and factories of Charles Riley Maynard and Thomas Maynard. Charles Riley Maynard was managing director. About 50 premises in London, Brighton, Newcastle upon Tyne and elsewhere, including 2 factories, were acquired from Thomas Maynard; 6 premises, including 2 factories, were acquired from Charles (trading as Maynard Brothers).
1934 The business had retail sites in many parts of London
1939 Charles Riley's sons, Charles Gordon Maynard, Alfred Amos Maynard and Joseph Douglas Maynard, were all directors of confectionery and chocolate businesses
1956 After the death of Alfred, his son Alan R. Maynard became join managing director with Joseph Douglas Maynard 
1984 A sweet, toys and newsagent business; planned to sell the 133 shops in the newsagent/sweet shop chain