Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 115342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Melincryddan Copper Works

From Graces Guide

Smelter at Melincryddan, near Neath

1695 Established by Sir Humphrey Mackworth and his family, together with capital from other sources through the Company of Mine Adventurers.

The Coster's family business established a smelter at an abandoned works at Melincryddan, near Neath, South Wales, during the planning of a large new site at White Rock, Swansea.

1730s the Melincryddan Works was owned by Thomas Coster of Bristol and his partners. (perhaps these were Thomas Coster's Copper Works?)

1742 The Melincryddan Works was taken over by the Company of Copper Miners in England (otherwise known as the English Copper Co).


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  • Morgannwg Vol. 23, 1979, Enterprise and capital for non-ferrous metal smelting in Glamorgan, 1694-1924 [1]