Note: this is a sub-section of Metropolitan-Vickers
1938 A radiolocation section was set up to carry on manufacture in a new extension to the West works - products included ASV airborne detectors of surface vessels, Gee navigation controllers, Oboe ground guide to bombing aircraft, and H2S airborne sets giving the first direct picture of the unseen earth's surface at night or in cloud. Among parts and accessories were aerial pedestal units and insulators of Polythene, for which the company developed the first successful machines and moulding methods.
1939 A radio engineering section was formed under A. K. Nuttall
For some years technical design originated in the radio section of the research department under J. M. Dodds.
Post-WWII Seascan radar was developed to reduce the risk of marine accidents in bad visibility, when used in conjunction with other navigational equipment. By 1949 it had been fitted to 130 ships ranging from liners like the Caronia and Willem Ruys to Norwegian whaling factory ships, from small coastal craft to the Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth.