Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,095 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
at Blackwall, makers of marine engines.
1835 Engines of 120 H.P. were installed on HMS Blazer, the first vessel of the Royal Navy the firm equipped, followed by several others.
1837 Miller was consulted by Francis Pettit Smith about the screw propeller and encouraged to construct the engines and machinery for the SS Archimedes but the firm was too busy; the vessel was designed by Edward Pascoe and built by Henry Wimshurst in 1838.
1838-42 See 1839-1842 Marine Engine Makers for details of engines made for the Admiralty
1839 Miller and Ravenhill repaired the boilers and engines of the ‘Archimedes’ after an accident.
1843 Built the Prince of Wales steamer to run between London and Margate. The company built the steamer and the engines of 130 hp.
1844 engines for H.M.S. ‘Amphion’- the first use of direct-action horizontal screw-engines placed beneath the waterline - for the British navy.
1844 the firm secured the services of Mr. Pasco as their naval architect. At their new water-side premises at Blackwall, they constructed some very successful iron steamers, which attained great speed.
John Salkeld was taken into partnership
1845 George Cowen left the Partnership with Joseph Miller, Richard Ravenhill, and John Salkeld, as Engineers and Steam Engine Manufacturers, at Glasshouse-fields and Blackwall, in Ihe county of Middlesex, under the firm of Miller, Ravenhill, and Co.
1847 Henry Birley left the Partnership with Joseph Miller, Richard Ravenhill and John Salkeld as Engineers and Steam Engine Manufacturers, at Glasshouse-fields and Blackwall, in the county of Middlesex, under the firm of Miller, Ravenhill, and Co.
At some point the firm became Miller, Ravenhill, and Salkeld.