1878 After the disastrous explosion at Blantyre Colliery in 1877, a meeting of colliery managers was held in the Clydesdale Hotel, Hamilton on 24 January 1878. It was decided to form "The West of Scotland Mining Institute".
Mining men from all parts of Scotland were anxious to join the Institute, and it was decided to adopt the more appropriate designation of The Mining Institute of Scotland.
1894 The President of The Mining Institute of Scotland was elected President of the federated Institution.
1915 The Institution received its Royal Charter.
1998 The Mining Institute of Scotland was the Scotland Branch of the The Institution of Mining and Metallurgy .
2006 The Mining Institute of Scotland was incorporated as a private limited company.