Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,912 pages of information and 230,121 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
See Mirrlees for history.
1885 The title of the firm was changed to Mirrlees Watson Co.
1887 The patent rights were acquired of Home T. Yaryan in the evaporating apparatus which bears his name.
1888 J. C. Hudson retired and Mr W. J. Mirrlees, eldest son of Mr J. B. Mirrlees, became a member of the firm.
1889 Incorporated as a limited company Mirrlees, Watson, Yaryan and Co reflecting the intimate association of the firm with the Yaryan Company
1896 Three members of the Board formed a committee to make investigations into the practical possibilities of a new internal combustion engine patented by Dr Rudolf Diesel.
During March 1897 the committee visited Germany and, after studying Dr Diesel's 20 BHP engine, an agreement was signed whereby the patentee granted an exclusive licence for the manufacture and sale of the diesel engine in Great Britain.
The first engine was completed in November 1897. This was the third diesel engine in the world and after exhaustive tests by Professor Watkinson of the Royal Technical College, Glasgow, was later put into regular service on the company's premises. It is now to be seen in the Anson Engine Museum.
1899 The Dieselmotoren Company of Augsburg bought back the exclusive licence in exchange for a non-exclusive licence and a considerable sum of money. Also in that year the Company was again reconstructed and became the Mirrlees Watson Co.
1900 "The Mirrlees, Watson and Yaryan Co advise us that Mr. A. D. Smith has now been appointed to an important position on their staff in Glasgow, and that Mr Charles Wilson succeeds him in London. The office at Monument Station Buildings is now closed, and communications are to be addressed Mr Charles Wilson, 158, Gresham House, Old Broad-street, London, E. C."