Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,698 pages of information and 232,163 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Mount Foundry Ironworks

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

of Tavistock

The Proprietors respectfully beg leave to inform the Public, they have nearly compleated those extensive Works—at which they manufacture Scythes, Reaping and other Hooks, Shovels of all sorts. Spades, Axes, and a variety of other articles, in Wrought-Iron.
Also, Castings in Iron, Brass or Copper, for Machinery, Railings, Pillars, Grates, Pintals and Braces for Ships’ Rudders, &c. &c. which are done in a neat manner, having a superior Advantage in their Patterns.
Machinery Carried on in all its various branches, the same as by the late Mr. Leake ; the Proprietors having retained the same Person that conducted his Business for the last 12 years.
Iron Screws cut to any Dimensions, on the best Terms, having lately invented an Engine for that purpose.
Bar-Iron, Axle-Moulds, Axle-Arms, with cast Boxes complete, Share-Moulds, Knees for Shipping, Bolts, &c. made to any shape or size, from their superior Iron wholly manufactured from Scraps, which for Shipping and a Variety of Purposes, is well known to far exceed any other.
N.B. Any quantity of old Scrap or Bushel Iron bought or taken in exchange; also, old Copper, Brass, and Pewter, bought at liberal price.
Their newly-invented Machine for crushing Copper Ore, needs no other recommendation of its utility, than an enquiry at Crowndale or Friendship Mines, near Tavistock ; the saving to the Adventurers being nearly 1000l a year on each Mine. Good WORKMEN in any of the above Branches, will meet with encouragement. Tavistock, October I, 1805.'[1]

1811 'An entire Iron Boat, which carries eight tons, has been built at the Mount Foundery Iron Works in Tavistock ; it was launched on the Tavistock Canal Monday morning.'[2]

See Also


Sources of Information

  1. Royal Cornwall Gazette, 19 October 1805
  2. Lancaster Gazette - Saturday 27 April 1811