Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,385 pages of information and 233,518 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Previously Muir and Mavor
Joined by William Arthur Coulson
1889 Having installed lighting at Glasgow Post Office, Muir, Mavor and Coulson extended lighting to other municipal buildings and installed a central electricity station in Little Hamilton St, near George Sq, Glasgow, to light nearby buildings; it was capable of lighting 3000 8 candle power lamps at a price of 3d per kWh
c.1891 became Mavor and Coulson
1892 Having established electricity supply for various parts of Glasgow, including lighting the General Post Office, the firm's generating stations were taken over by the Glasgow Corporation and formed the nucleus of the Corporations electricity supply to the city. The business then turned to the design and manufacture of electrical machinery, playing a prominent part in the electrical developments of the 20th century.