Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,159 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Mumbles Lighthouse

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search
2015

Mumbles Lighthouse, completed in 1794, is a lighthouse located off Mumbles, near Swansea.

The structure, which sits on the outer of two islands off Mumbles Head, is clearly visible from any point along the five mile sweep of Swansea Bay. Along with the nearby lifeboat station, it is the most photographed landmark in the village.

The tower has two tiers and initially two open coal fire lights were displayed. These open coal fire lights were difficult to maintain and were soon replaced by a single oil powered light within a cast iron lantern.

In 1860, the oil powered light was upgraded to a dioptric light and the fort that surrounds the tower was built by the War Department.

In 1905, an occulting mechanism, where the light was made to flash, was fitted. This was partially automated in 1934.

By 1977, the cast iron lantern had deteriorated beyond repair and was removed. A different lantern was added in 1987.

In 1995, the main light was replaced and an array of solar panels and emergency monitoring equipment were added.


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information