Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,478 pages of information and 233,901 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Murgatroyd's Salt and Chemical Co, of Elworth and Sandbach
1890s Murgatroyds started in the salt business
1893 Murgatroyd and Co built an ammonia-soda plant in Middlewich
1895 Brunner, Mond and Co acquired the ammonia-soda plant in Middlewich.
c.1915 Acquired by Brunner, Mond and Co
1947 Expansion of the open pan salt-making business by addition of vacuum salt, caustic soda, chlorine and derivative products.
1950 The Murgatroyd Salt and Chemical works at Sandbach began operations, primarily to supply the Staveley Iron and Chemical Co with caustic soda.
Mid 1950s: a number of 4-wheeled and small bogie tankers were built for Murgatroyds to carry liquid chlorine.
1954 Increase in capacity planned, to double the output of chlorine and caustic soda at Elworth.
1954 Distillers Co and Fisons jointly acquired Murgatroyds in order to safeguard their supplies of feedstocks important to their plastics businesses. Previously the Finance Corporation for Industry had owned 60%.