National Provincial Bank
1918 National Provincial Bank of England merged with the important Union of London and Smiths Bank Ltd, which had over 230 branches, and was restyled National Provincial and Union Bank of England Ltd. The new bank had over 700 branches
1919 Acquired Sheffield Banking Co Ltd
1920 Acquired the important London private bank of Coutts and Co which continued to trade under its own name.
1922 Acquired Dingley and Co of Launceston, Dingley, Pearse and Co of Okehampton
It continued to expand its branch network between the wars and after 1945.
1954 National Provincial Bank sold its holding in Lloyds and National Provincial Foreign Bank Ltd.
1958 Acquired North Central Wagon and Finance Co Ltd of Rotherham, a leasing and hire purchase company
1961 Acquired Isle of Man Bank Ltd
1962 Acquired District Bank Ltd, an important regional bank which continued to trade under its own name
1965 A merchant banking subsidiary, County Bank Ltd, was formed.
Sources of Information
-  RBS Heritage