Newcastle-upon-Tyne and Gateshead Gas Co
1838 The Newcastle-upon-Tyne and Gateshead Union Gaslight Company was formed by the union of two pre-existing companies - one established for lighting with gas the Borough of Newcastle-upon-Tyne and neighbourhood, and the other for lighting with gas the Borough of Gateshead in the county of Durham.
1864 The Elswick gasworks was opened.
1864 The company was dissolved and incorporated as the Newcastle-upon-Tyne and Gateshead Gas Company
1896 and 1901 Acts of Parliament empowered the company to buy land and construct works
1916 a further Act of Parliament allowed the company to extend its limits to meet demand in newly urbanised areas.
1924 Took over the Walker and Wallsend Union Gas Company and the Chester-Le-Street Gas Company Ltd
1928 Absorbed the Tynemouth Gas Company.
1929 Profit sharing was introduced
1937 Took over the South Shields Gas Co
1940 Took over the Morpeth Gas Light Co (1902) Ltd.
1949 On nationalisation the undertaking was vested in the Northern Gas Board.
Sources of Information
- National Archives