Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,479 pages of information and 233,901 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The Newport, Abergavenny & Hereford Railway was linked to the Merthyr, Abergavenny and Tredegar Railway at Abergavenny.
1847 A line from Pontypool, through Crumlin, to join the Taff Vale at Quakers Yard was authorised. On this line are some severe gradients - one is of 1 in 42 and two tunnels, but the chief feature is the Crumlin Viaduct over the Western Valley. It is 1500ft. long, with greatest height of 200ft., and the average height 138ft. It is an iron structure with ten spans of Warren truss girders and it cost £39,000. A reminder of the early days of railways is found in the name of "Tram Inn" at the last station before Hereford.
1853 The line opened.
1860 became part of the West Midland Railway