Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,143 pages of information and 233,396 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The Newport Pagnell Canal was a 1.25 mile canal that ran from the Grand Junction Canal at Great Linford to Newport Pagnell through seven locks. Construction was authorised by an Act of Parliament in June 1814 and it probably opened in 1817. It closed in 1864, with part of the route used for the line of a railway.
The route was surveyed by Benjamin Bevan, and work began in early 1815. The canal took two years to build and opened in early 1817.