Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,145 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Nicholas Alexander Anfilogoff (1876-1940)
1940 Obituary 
NICHOLAS ALEXANDER ANFILOGOFF was instrumental in bringing about the development at Canvey Island of a site for the accommodation of oil tankers, and for oil storage. He was born of Greek descent in 1876 at Riga, Russia, but he assumed British nationality in 1903. In 1894 he graduated from the Russian Imperial Technological Institute of Moscow University.
After two years' training in soap works and petroleum refineries in Russia, he came to England to assist Dr. Paul Dvorkovitz in the design of the first petroleum stills erected in this country, for refining Russian crude oil. He was in charge of the boilers, stills, and refining plant of the European Petroleum Company from 1897 to 1904, when he joined the staff of London and Thames Haven Oil Wharves, Ltd., as superintendent of the central wharf, Bow.
In 1908 he was made manager of the refinery which this firm built at Thames Haven, and at the beginning of 1913 became works manager for all the works belonging to the company. In this capacity he took charge of the engineering shops, foundries, laboratories, and refineries, and of the transport and storage of petroleum. When he resigned in 1930 he was also a director of an associated company, London Oil Storage Company, Ltd. He then went into business as a consulting chemical engineer, and a few months later began work on his scheme for the development of the site on Canvey Island.
Mr. Anfilogoff was the inspiration of the protracted litigation involved in the establishment of this scheme. He carried out the pioneer work which led to the development of London Coastal Wharves, Ltd. When he resigned in 1938 he was general manager and a director of this company.
He died on 27th January 1940. He was elected a Member of the Institution in 1915.