Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,153 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1870 The North of England Institute of Mining Engineers broadened its remit to include mechanical engineers. The name was changed to the North of England Institute of Mining and Mechanical Engineers, generally known as "The Mining Institute".
1876 The Institute obtained its royal charter.
The Institution had an important influence on the establishment and subsequent development of the College of Physical Science, and therefore of its successors, Armstrong College, King’s College and the University of Newcastle upon Tyne
1890s Joined the Federated Institution of Mining Engineers
Early 20th century: incorporated in the Institution of Mining Engineers