Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,192 pages of information and 233,429 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The North of Ireland Shipbuilding Co of Londonderry
1912 The company was established in July 1912 as a four berth shipyard based on the west side of Lough Foyle, which is at the northern end of Londonderry in Northern Ireland.
1913 Production began from 1913 with four Great Lakes steamers, a steel carrier and a steamer.
1916 The company bought 56 acres of land and five new berths and a fitting out quay were constructed, with long term plans for an engine works. The company continued making ships mainly for the navy.
1920s After the war, the yards capitalised on the shortage of tankers by manufacturing hulls. The yards also made Great Lakes Steamers and four of these were the last to be ordered form the Foyle yard. The yard was then taken over by Swan, Hunter and Wigham Richardson in 1920. Orders declined and Swan, Hunter cut back on activity at the yard. Eventually Harland and Wolff took over management of the yard and used it for dry dock repairs.
1946 The Foyle yard closed and was then demolished.
British Shipbuilding Yards. 3 vols by Norman L. Middlemiss