A canal between Shipley in Derbyshire and the Erewash Canal, which it joined it near Trowell.
1793 Engineer Benjamin Outram
Built to serve the collieries at Shipley and West Hallam
1796 Canal was completed. It was initially profitable, but from 1846 faced competition from the railways, and more seriously, subsidence caused by the coal mines that it was built to serve.
1895 Most of the canal was closed
1949 the final 1.5 miles (2.4 km) remained in use until 1949.
Sources of Information
- Wikipedia