Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,894 pages of information and 228,796 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Orb Works, of Newport, Mons., producers of grain oriented steel for use in electric motors, generators, transformers, etc.
1897 The Orb Works opened as an ironworks under the management of William Lysaght. It was built on farmland of Pill farm, the farmhouse of which became the main offices. A goods only branch of the Great Western Railway was opened in 1898 and the works used this as well as a private wharf on the river to transport materials and goods.
By 1913 the works employed c.3000 workers.
WWI A member of the Eastern Group of firms organised under the Ministry of Munitions, making a significant contribution to the war effort. The works had to adapt to the rolling of brass and zinc for war purposes due to the excess of rolling mills already working with steel. William Lysaght became a key figure in the Ministry of Munitions for his insights into the steel and spelter industry.
The works' steel plate was used extensively in munitions manufacture and for the production of trench plates.
1936 A gatehouse complex was added; later Air Raid Protection shelters were built.
1967 The complex became part of British Steel Company
Later became part of the Corus Group specialising in the production of high grade electrical steel and sheet steel.
Now a division of Cogent Power, part of TATA Steel. Cogent Power: history webpage.