Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,151 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
This is a cast iron road bridge across the River Thames in Oxford, built in 1888 to replace a masonry bridge destroyed three years earlier by floods. Some of the stone was re-used for the abutments of the new bridge.
It is quite a late example of a cast iron arch bridge. Each of the six ribs is assembled from three castings, bolted together at planed joints. Steel was used for the transverse bracing.
The engineer was W. H. White (William Henry White (1844-1925)?). The contractor for the ironwork was the Horseley Co. The attractive parapet railings were made by Walter Macfarlane and Co. The contractor for the abutments and other work was W. J. McKenzie of Westminster.
For more information, see 'The Engineer'