Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,415 pages of information and 233,868 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1815 The Caledonia was built on the Clyde by James Wood and Co, of Port Glasgow.
1817 In order to experiment on the most improved form of marine engine, Boulton and Watt purchased the Caledonia and replaced the engines with two sidelever engines. After several experiments a plan was decided to improve marine engines. James Watt (Junior) accompanied the Caledonia to Holland and up the Rhine. The vessel was eventually sold to the Danish Government, and used for carrying the mails between Kiel and Copenhagen.