Walker Brothers of the Pagefield Iron Works in Wigan, Lancashire produced commercial vehicles from 1907
1904 The firm was formed for general engineering work
1907 Company formed and produced 2-ton lorry
1913 Produced the N model, a subsidy 4ton lorry using a 42 hp Dorman engine and supplied 519 to the Forces. It remained in production until 1931.
1913-1917 For a list of the models and prices of Petrol Motor Commercial Vehicles see the 1917 Red Book under the Pagefield name.
1919 - 1920 A few Pagefields buses were made on a lorry chassis.
1921 One of these was bodied as a bus in Britain.
1922 A similar lorry rated at 5-tons was produced
1927 A low frame PSV chassis was produced. It was very ahead of its time having a six-cylinder Dorman engine, four wheel internally-expanding drum brakes.
The whole engine assembly could be detached and wheeled out; this was an idea later brought about by Morris-Commercial.
Users of Pagefields were Grant's Saloon Services and Wigan Corporation who were local to the company.
The company were known for making the most successful battery-electric trucks.
Became well known in 1920s and 1930s for waste collection vehicles of a novel design
1931 Produced the six-wheel 12ton Plantagenet chassis with a Gardner 6LW six-cylinder diesel engine. Probable that 5LW five-cylinder fitted in early versions.
Also produced Pompian (4ton); Pathfinder (6ton); Pegasix (trailing axle six-wheeler); Paladin (6/7ton)
WW2 Made shells and sections for the Mulberry Harbour project and a number of special cranes
1948 Became Walkers and County Cars
Sources of Information
British Lorries 1900-1992 by S. W. Stevens-Stratten. Pub. Ian Allen Publishing