Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,143 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Marine engine maker, of Town Quay Works, Southampton.
1904 Public company incorporated as Parsons Motor Co
1908 Company made private. Name was "successively changed" to present one.
1929 - Image - The Parsons Oil Engine Company Ltd of Southampton.
1946 Reconverted to public company. Chairman and Managing Director was Harry Parsons; another director was Charles Pamphilon Parsons, a director of Parsons and Swayne. The company's engines were used in the lifeboats or emergency lighting plants of 20 of the world's shipping lines. Had recently converted Ford engines for marine use in fast vessels. Also made moderate speed heavy duty engines for general purposes. Finance required for rebuilding and expansion of the works.
1961 Manufacturers of propulsion sets, reverse gears, reducing gears, stern gears and silencers for marine department. Direct coupled plants for lighting and power pumping, welding, air compressing. 200 employees. 
1964 Described as specialising in the design and production of high-quality marine steering gear, marine reverse/reduction gears for power transmission in the higher ranges, and other miscellaneous marine equipment. Acquired Mathway Marine Ltd of Hamble. Mathway Marine will in future operate from Parsons' existing premises in Southampton.