Pepper Mill, Wigan
of Pepper Mill, Wigan
1830 Reported much later. Barnes and Aspinall had the Pepper Mill Foundry.
1868 Partnership change. '...the Copartnership lately subsisting between the undersigned, James Draper, William Leech, and William Gerrard, in the trade or business of Brass Founders and Gas Meter Makers, at Pepper Mill Foundry, in Wigan, in the county of Lancaster, under the firm of the Pepper Mill Brass Foundry Company, was dissolved so far as regards the said James Draper, as from the 24th day of August last, and the business has been from that date and in future will be carried on by the said William Leech and William Gerrard alone...'
1869 August. Business for sale. 'BRASS FOUNDERS. IRONMONGERS, and OTHERS.— TO SOLD TENDER, under Deed of Assignment. the whole the GOODWILL, PLANT, STOCK-IN-TRADE, TOOLS, and all necessary IMPLEMENTS for carrying on the business of Brass Founder, the New Pepper Mill Brass Foundry, situate in Miry-lane, Wigan, in the County of Lancaster. The Plant comprises one eight-horse Vertical Steam Engine and Boiler, Squaring Machine, Drilling Machine, fifteen Lathes with planed iron gangtrees, one pair of Tinman’s Rollers, Braisers’ and other Tools, with Gearing and other appliances complete, all nearly new. The Stock comprises Bran Castings, Iron Piping and Fittings, Brass Tubes, Patterns, a quantity of Metal, and large quantity of saleable finished Brass Work, with Office Furniture and Fixings complete. The premises are most eligibly situated, and adapted for carrying on an extensive business and can be had at a low rent. The late proprietor has had an extensive connection amongst the colliery proprietors gasworks, and ironmongers, both In Wigan and the surrounding towns.'
1873 Partnership dissolved. '...the Partnership lately subsisting between me, the undersigned, William Leech and William Gerrard, late of Ince, within Makerfield, in the county of Lancaster, deceased, carrying on business at the Pepper Mill Foundry, in Wigan, in the said county, as Brass Founders and Gas Meter Makers, was dissolved, as from the 22nd day of April last, by the death of the said William Gerrard, on and from which day the said business was taken over and acquired by the said William Leech...'
Sources of Information
- 1828-29 Pigot's Directory: Wigan
- Wigan Observer and District Advertiser - Wednesday 04 October 1899
- Wigan Observer and District Advertiser - Saturday 20 October 1855
- Wigan Observer and District Advertiser - Friday 26 February 1858
- The London Gazette Publication date:9 October 1868 Issue:23430 Page:5327
- Wigan Observer and District Advertiser - Friday 20 August 1869
- Wigan Observer and District Advertiser - Friday 26 November 1869
- The London Gazette Publication date:12 December 1873 Issue:24044 Page:5843
- Wigan Observer and District Advertiser - Friday 23 March 1877
- Wigan Observer and District Advertiser - Wednesday 31 December 1879