Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 115342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Philip John Worsley

From Graces Guide

Philip John Worsley (c1869-1946)


1946 Obituary [1]

PHILIP JOHN WORSLEY was educated at Clifton College and at Emmanuel College, Cambridge, where he graduated B.A. in engineering. On the completion of a three years' apprenticeship with Messrs. G. Richards and Company, Ltd., of Manchester, in 1894, he went to the U.S.A. and gained experience in the machine tool works of Messrs. Flather, near Boston, and at other industrial centres.

In 1896 he returned to England and joined Messrs. Tangyes, Ltd., at Birmingham, but in the same year he was appointed assistant engineer to Messrs. Guest, Keen and Nettlefolds, Ltd. Some three years later, while still continuing to hold his appointment with Messrs. Nettlefolds, he became a director of Messrs. E. G. Wrigley and Company, Ltd., makers of cutting tools.

In 1917 Mr. Worsley resigned his position with the former firm and was entirely concerned on behalf of Messrs. Wrigley with the production of various components of tanks for the Army. Two years later, however, he returned to Messrs. Nettlefolds as general manager of their Soho works and continued to hold office until his retirement in 1924. Whilst with Messrs. Nettlefolds he accepted an invitation to serve on the Cutting Tools Research Committee of the Institution and took an active part in its work over a number of years.

Mr. Worsley, whose death occurred in his seventy-seventh year on 16th February 1946, had been a member of the Institution for nearly fifty years, having been elected an Associate Member in 1897 and transferred to Membership in 1910.


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information