Philip and Son
Philip and Son, shipbuilders of Dartmouth
1858 Established by George Philip.
1874 His son Alexander took over
George Philip's grandsons (George and John) succeeded Alexander.
1905 Public company.
1905 The company took limited liability status and the Noss yard of Simpson, Strickland and Co was also taken over at this time.
1900s The yard specialised in making tugs in both wood and then later, steel.
1920 An engine works was opened up on site and Swan, Hunter and Wigham Richardson purchased a majority share in the company. Tugs continued to be built for international orders, and from the mid 20s onwards the yard began making coastal tankers, ferryboats, excursion steamers.
1930s As well as the above, the yard also made yachts, small craft (flat packed for rebuilding overseas) and petroleum swim barges.
WW2 The yard mainly repaired and built small warships during the war.
1950s In the post war period the yard made dry-cargo coasters, coastal tankers, a Mersey ferry, Thames tugs as well as ongoing overseas orders for passenger/cargo ships.
1960s The yard made a number of ferries.
1961 Shipbuilders, engineers, building slips for vessels up to 280ft. 450 employees.