Phillips Petroleum Co
1917 Frank and L.E. Phillips established Phillips Petroleum Company, headquartered in Bartlesville, OK.
1926 Designed the first aviation refueling trucks and developed a new, lighter, more efficient Phillips aviation fuel used to power the first flight between the U.S. and Hawaii.
1927 Began selling gasoline in Wichita, the first of more than 10,000 service stations across the country. Phillips entered the refining business by acquiring its first refinery near Borger, Texas.
Early 1940s: Phillips invented the HF Alkylation process, making high-octane aviation fuel possible.
1948 Formed Phillips Chemical Company
1951 Invented polyethylene plastics and discovered and develops a new process to produce high-density polyethylene resins, launching Phillips’ entry into the plastics business.
1974 April. Work on the Ekofisk oilfield in the North Sea nearly completed. Produced in excess of 10,000 barrels a day.
2000 Combined its midstream business with Duke Energy Field Services. Phillips and Chevron combine their chemicals and plastics operations, creating Chevron Phillips Chemical Company.
2012 Separation of the combined company’s Refining & Marketing and Exploration & Production businesses into 2 stand-alone, publicly traded corporations, Phillips 66 and ConocoPhillips.
Sources of Information
- The Engineer 1974/04/04
-  Conoco.