Phoenix Gas Co
1814/6 Gas works at Bankside - the first on the south bank of the Thames - started operation
1821 The South London Gas Co acquired the Bankside gasworks.
1824 The company changed its name from The Phoenix Gaslight and Coke Co to Phoenix Gas Co
1840 New retort house opened.
1848 Had branch works at Greenwich.
1848 Opened extensive new gas works at the South-eastern end of Vauxhall Bridge.
1873 One of 9 companies supplying gas to the London metropolis.
1881 After many years of keen rivalry, the Phoenix Company was merged with the South Metropolitan Gas Co, the operations of which are thus considered to date back one hundred years from 1924 though, as a matter of fact, it itself was not formed till five years later than its rival, namely in 1829.
1938 The Bankside property was sold as the East Greenwich and other gas works provided the capacity needed.
Sources of Information
- The Times, Feb 09, 1939
- The Times, Aug 28, 1873
- The Engineer 1925/05/01
- The Times Jan 10, 1881