Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,012 pages of information and 232,919 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of King Edward's Place, Broad Street, Birmingham. Telephone: Midland 1042/3/4. Telegraphic Address: "Pinchin, Birmingham". Head office at Carlton Gardens, London, SW1
1871 Owned a seed-crushing warehouse and oil mills at Beavor Lane, Hammersmith where a fire took place.
1895 Distributor of varnishes, oils and other inflammable substances; experienced a fire at their premises in Cable Street, London.
1897 Distributor of petroleum products in the City of London.
1899 The partnership between Edmund Dowling, Charles Pinchin, Charles Dowling and Albert Hill, carrying on business as Pinchin Johnson and Co, was dissolved
1913 Oil and colour merchants in the City of London
1922 Annual report published
1924 Annual meeting was reminded that the company had owned the entire share capital of Wilkinson, Heywood and Clark Ltd for some years. In the past year, Pinchin, Johnson Co had merged that business with the parent company and liquidated the Wilkinson, Heywood and Clark company
1927 Rapid expansion by acquisition including Docker Brothers. Claimed to have the most extensive and up-to-date paint and varnish manufacturing facilities in Europe, technical skills and resources of a high order, plus the strength of the commercial organisation which together enabled the company to achieve success even in difficult times.
1934 Patent - Improvements in or relating to roller mills for grinding paint and other substances. 
1937 Patent - Improvements in or relating to rubber compositions. 
1937 British Industries Fair Advert for Industrial and Decorative paint finishes. A comprehensive display showing the latest developments in Decorative and Industrial Finishes, including the well-known Paints, Varnishes, Enamels, Lacquers, etc., and the unique Vigorised Wet-on-Wet Finishes for brush or spray application. (Building, General Heating and Cooking Section - Stand Nos. B.515 and B.414) 
1937 Specialists in paints and all protective coatings. "Vigorised" Paints and Coatings. 
1940s Name changed to Pinchin, Johnson and Associates Ltd.
1963 Motor Show exhibitor. Specialised paints. 
1968 Courtaulds succeeded in a bid for International Paints through its subsidiary Pinchin, Johnson and Associates; the companies became part of a new company, International Paint Company, 83 percent owned by Courtaulds